Los Angeles District Attorney Is Reviewing Trevor Bauer Assault Case; Pitcher Is Still On Paid Leave

Over three months after the Pasadena Police Department opened a criminal investigation of Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer for alleged sexual assault of a 27-year-old San Diego woman, the department turned over the case to Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon’s office, a Pasadena PD spokeswoman confirmed Friday.

“On Friday, August 27, 2021, The Pasadena Police Department after extensive investigation presented the Trevor Bauer case to the Los Angeles District Attorney Office for review,” Lt. Carolyn Gordon said in a statement. The department declined further comment.

A spokesman for Gascon’s office issued a short statement Friday: “Our office received the case today and it’s under review.”

Last week, after a four-day civil hearing, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge denied the San Diego woman’s request for a permanent restraining order against Bauer. The woman claimed in a declaration attached to the original request for a temporary domestic violence restraining order that she had two sexual encounters with Bauer at the pitcher’s Pasadena home in April and May of this year.

The woman alleged that Bauer choked her to the point of unconsciousness during sex on multiple occasions, had anal sex with her without her consent and punched her in the face during sex, and elsewhere on her body. The declaration also included information from an Alvarado Hospital Medical Center medical exam of the woman after the second encounter with Bauer, and the diagnoses include “acute head injury” and “assault by manual strangulation.”

She said in the declaration that on May 18 of this year, two Pasadena Police detectives visited her home and that she gave them a statement. Then on, May 21, according to her declaration, she drove to the Pasadena Police department where officers recorded a call between her and Bauer.

Bauer’s attorney and agent, Jon Fetterolf, said in a June 29 statement that Bauer had a “brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by” the San Diego woman. She was granted an “ex parte” temporary restraining order, meaning there was no corroboration. When the judge in the civil hearing denied her a permanent restraining order last week, the temporary DVRO was dissolved as well.

A spokeswoman for Bauer’s representatives declined comment Friday. Bauer has not been arrested nor charged.

While Pasadena PD was investigating Bauer, Major League Baseball launched its own, separate investigation of the Dodgers pitcher that is ongoing. Since July 2, Bauer has been on paid administrative leave, a non-disciplinary designation. According to multiple reports Friday, Bauer’s administrative leave has been extended again by MLB, through September 3. Bauer, 30, is in the first year of a three-year, $102 million contract with the Dodgers. His 2021 salary is approximately $38 million.

Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has the authority to discipline players who the league deems have violated the joint domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policy, even if the player is not charged or convicted. A baseball source said MLB will likely wait until the criminal matter concludes before making a decision on Bauer’s future.

Earlier this month, the Washington Post published a report that said an Ohio woman sought a temporary order of protection against Bauer last year “after repeated threats from” the pitcher. Bauer, who played for the Cincinnati Reds in 2020 and won the National League Cy Young Award, took to Twitter to denounce the Washington Post report, and said the woman tried to “extort me for millions of dollars” in 2020.

Fetterolf and Bauer’s other agent, Rachel Luba, called the Ohio woman’s allegations of physical abuse by Bauer “categorically false.” The woman voluntarily dismissed the petition for the protective order on July 23, 2020, according to the Post report.

Joseph Darwal, an attorney with the firm, Obral, Silk & Pal, LLC, and who represents the Ohio woman, said after Bauer’s tweet: “We stand by the Washington Post’s reporting with regards to the assault and harassment that occurred during this relationship by Mr. Bauer; however, this false narrative pertaining to extortion needs to end.”

Read The Full Story